Sunday, April 17, 2011

Learning, Tattoos, Healthy Kids Day

I am getting down to the last few weeks of the semester so things have been crazy with a lot of exams and such. It has been a lot of work but it has been invigorating for my mind to be learning so much. The biology, pathology, and treatment options for cancer as well as the physics and effects of radiation are all so fascinating. As of late I have been memorizing a lot of lymph nodes and chemotherapy drugs and I have discovered that I really like physics.

Clinic has also been interesting. For the past three weeks my rotation has been in CT- simulation. This is where the patients go for their first appointment for Radiation Therapy (for their setup to be determined and for the treatment planning process to get underway.) I have learned to run a CT (cat scan) scanner, make custom lead blocks to go into the machine, give patients tiny little medicinal tattoos, etc. (The tattoos are used to help line the patients up to the lasers every day so that we can assure we are lining them up in the precise spot each day for 5-6 weeks or so of treatment.) This was a little scary at first because I am not a fan of needles at all but it didn't take long to get used to and I must say that I am quite the baby tattoo artist :)

Last Saturday we went to a fun event called "Healthy Kids Day". We got in free and there were tons of great things for the kids to do...blow up jumping castles, a big blow up slide, sand boxes, trikes, tennis, and other fun games and such.

This is what we did MANY times. It was a really fun slide!





The kids won some coupons for free ice cream cones at Sonic, so that's where we went on the way home. They were thrilled!

Another fun thing that I had to mention was that we have recently discovered the world of skype (video chat). Dal has a couple of aunts who he loves to skype with. They are so cute with him. They sit and play toys with him, tell stories with him, etc. (for a LONG time) and he loves every minute of it. He also got to skype with Grandma and Grandpa once for their first skyping experience with their new web cam. So if anyone wants to play toys with Dal over Skype just let us know :) Gotta love some of that modern technology.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Oh no, B-Rae's not a baby anymore! :) Love the tattoo artist bit. It may be an expensive way to get that kind of experience, but I'd trust the cleanliness of your needles any day. :)